If you’re a regular Discord user, chances are you’ve heard of BetterDiscord. Many users have customized their Discord app by providing cool features like plugins, themes, and other in-app cosmetics.
This post will answer what BetterDiscord is and why it has become so popular among people using digital distribution platforms.
What is BetterDiscord?
BetterDiscord is an add-on that can help you manually modify the look and function of the Discord client. This tool can help you install themes and plugins to improve your overall Discord experience.
You can add a rhythm bot to add music to your Discord app. BetterDiscord also uses emojis and emoticons, which can be exported from Twitch TV. You can use a custom CSS editor to customize the platform.
BetterDiscord was started in 2015 by Zack Rauen, a firmware engineer and a group of volunteer developers. They launched BetterDiscord just a few months after the original Discord was introduced. It is currently at version 1.2.
While BetterDiscord features, such as minimal mode and basic UI tweaks, were not available on original Discord, many of the features that were developed in BetterDiscord are now integrated into native Discord. However, the second version is still one step ahead in innovation as it introduces new groundbreaking features.
BetterDiscord top features
Some of the useful features of BetterDiscord include:
- Allows users to customize the Discord Client based on their preferences.
- Turn on minimal models so you can focus on specific channels and eliminate clutter.
- Ability to download and customize plugins and themes.
- The ability to use emojis and emoticons is not available in the official Discord app.
- Optionally add a rhythm bot to play music in the background.
How to install BetterDiscord?
Currently, BetterDiscord is only available for desktops and laptops. There are some clones of it, such as Bluecord, that work with cell phones. However, they often lack some of the features available on BetterDiscord.
Here’s how you can install BetterDiscord on your computer:
- Go BetterDiscord’s website use any browser.
- Download BetterDiscord’s app.
- Once the download is complete, double-click the installer and accept the license agreement to begin the installation process.
- Option Install BetterDiscord are from Choose an action menu and press Next.
- Select the version of BetterDiscord you want to install based on the version of Discord you are running. If you’re not sure which one to choose, click Default right to buy. Then click Setting.
- Once the installation is complete, it will restart your Discord and it will open just like your normal client. However, you will notice that there are many additional settings on the left side of the screen.
We also recommend downloading Do not track plugin for a better experience by following the steps below:
2. Click Plug in on the homepage.
- Knock on Do not track in the search bar and select the first item on the new page.
- Click Download.
- You will get a blocking message from Downloading this file because it is a JAR file. From the selection menu, select Keep for.
- Go to BetterDiscord and click additional from the left panel. Click Open the plugin folder.
- Then drag and drop the JAR file into BetterDiscord. This action will open the plugin.
The Do not track plugin will prevent Discord from tracking your Sentry and Analytics. This plugin will reduce the ability of Discord to detect your use of BetterDiscord and prevent it from tracking a lot of your data.
- Click User settings > Topic on your BetterDiscord homepage.
- Choose Open the theme folderr at the top of the page.
- Go website and click Topic navigation. Drag and drop any theme you like into the Themes folder to save it.
- Once you’ve downloaded your favorite theme, it will appear in BetterDiscord themes. To make it your current theme, move the on/off button located at the top right of the box. There are also edit and delete buttons on the bottom right of each theme.
- On your BetterDiscord homepage, press User settings (Log icon), then click additional.
- Click Open the plugin folder at the top of the page.
- Then go back to the website again and select additional navigation.
- Drag and drop any useful plugin you like into the Plugins folder to save it.
- From there, use the on/off button next to the plugins to enable or disable them. Like themes, there are also edit and delete buttons you can use.
Is BetterDiscord legit?
BetterDiscord is considered an unofficial program that goes against Discord’s Terms of Service. It is also known to contain some bugs that can potentially crash your Discord app.
If Discord finds out that you’re using this third-party app, they may ban your account from using their service. To prevent this from happening, it’s best to use themes and plugins directly from BetterDiscord. Also, never send screenshots or video recordings of your BetterDiscord account to anyone as it can be used to get you banned on the platform.
Is BetterDiscord safe?
BetterDiscord users should also be careful when choosing plugins and themes to install. Plugins or themes may not be compatible with other third-party programs you may have installed and may prevent their functionality or appearance.
It’s helpful to read reviews of themes or plugins to make sure they won’t cause any problems for your PC. To be on the safe side, you may want to create your own themes instead of downloading them from another source.
For the most part, BetterDiscord is pretty safe to use. It is very rare for users to experience issues that could damage their Discord client or computer. We recommend weighing the risks of using BetterDiscord against the benefits it offers.