Amazon Music is the default music streaming service on all Fire TV devices. If you have an active Apple Music subscription, you can link the service to your streaming stick instead of paying for Amazon Music.
We’ll show you how to stream music, radio, and podcasts on Fire TV Sticks using Apple’s streaming services. The steps in this guide apply to all Fire TV Stick models/generations that support voice interaction with Alexa.
Use Apple Music on Fire TV Stick
There is no standalone Apple Music app for Fire TV devices. However, of course, there is an official solution for streaming songs on Fire TV Stick through Apple Music. The trick is to enable the Apple Music Alexa Skill in your Amazon account — that is, link Apple Music to Alexa.
Link Apple Music to Fire TV Stick on Alexa Mobile App
The easiest way to link Apple Music to the Firestick is through the Alexa app on iOS and Android devices. Download apps from Google Play Store if you are using android or App Store for iPhone and iPad users.
Follow these steps to link Apple Music to your Fire TV device on the Amazon Alexa app.
- Open the Amazon Alexa app and sign in to the same Amazon account on your Fire TV Stick.
- Go to the “Home” tab and press Music service link.
If you do not find “Music Link Service” on the homepage, select Explore skills & games instead of.
- Tap the search icon in the upper right corner, type “apple music” in the search box and select Apple Music in search results.
- Clap Turn on to use.
Also, visit Setting > Music & Podcasts > New service linkclap Apple Musicand press Turn on to use.
- The app will open the Apple ID login page in your default web browser. Enter your Apple account credentials to link Apple Music to your Amazon account.
If your Apple ID account uses two-factor authentication, provide a security code sent to your Apple device or phone number.
- Finally, touch Allow to give Amazon Alexa access to your Apple Music subscription.
If the Amazon Alexa app isn’t available in your country, link your Apple Music account to Amazon on the web app. Check the next section for detailed steps.
Link Apple Music to Fire TV Stick on Alexa Web App
- Access the Alexa web app (alexa.amazon.com) on your web browser and sign in to your Amazon account.
- Choose hamburger menu icon in the upper left corner and select Skill.
- Type apple music in the search box and select Apple Music in the results.
- Option Allow.
- Sign in to your Apple ID account on the page that pops up and select Allow on the “Request access” page.
Apple Music Link on Alexa Skills Website
- Visit Apple Music page onHe Alexa Skills site and choose Allow.
Make sure you’re signed in to your Amazon account on a web browser. Also, make sure it’s the same Amazon account on your Fire TV Stick.
- If you are not logged in, select Log in and provide your account credentials on the next page. Skip to step 3 if you are already signed in.
- When you enable the Apple Music skill, your browser will open a new tab to link your Apple ID account. Choose Account link If your browser does not automatically open tabs.
- Enter your Apple ID account credentials to link Alexa and Apple Music.
You may need to verify your credentials if your Apple ID account uses two-factor authentication. Provide the code sent to your phone number or Apple devices to continue.
- Option Allow to link both services.
You’ll get an on-screen notification (and an email from Amazon) that Apple Music has been successfully linked to Alexa.
Before proceeding, set Apple Music as your default music library and radio service in the Amazon Alexa App.
Set Apple Music as Default Music Player
You can only set Apple Music as your preferred music streaming service through the Alexa app (mobile or web).
Method 1: Using Alexa Mobile App
On the Alexa mobile app, you’ll get a prompt to “Choose a default Music Service” when you link Apple Music.
Touch Go to Music Settings button Change under “Music” and press Apple Music.
If you don’t receive a prompt, follow the steps below to set Apple Music as your default music streaming service.
- Open the Alexa app, press Than in the bottom right corner and select Setting.
- Scroll to the “Alexa Preferences” section and tap Music & Podcasts.
- Clap Default service to continue.
- Touch Change under “Music” and “Artist and Genre Stations” and select Apple Music.
Method 2: Using the Alexa Web App
- Go to the Alexa App (alexa.amazon.com) on your web browser. Open Setting menu and select Music & Media in the “Alexa Preferences” section.
- Option Select default music services in the “Account Settings” section.
- Choose Apple Music in the “Default Music Library” and “Default Radio Service” sections. Option Accomplished to save the changes.
You can now play music and radio through Apple Music on your Amazon Firestick. Press and hold microphone button about you Alexa voice remote control to open Apple Music and say, “Alexa, play Apple Music.” This command will open Apple Music on your Fire TV Display and mix the songs in your playlist.
You can also instruct Alexa to play a specific song or album. Press and hold mic button on your Fire TV remote and say something like, “Alexa, play Ed Sheeran’s ‘Give Me Love’.”
Link Apple Podcasts to Fire TV Stick
Alexa also supports Apple Podcasts. So, if you regularly stream podcasts on your iPhone or iPad via Apple Podcast, you should link the podcast service to your Fire TV Stick. Better yet, make it Fire TV’s default podcast service.
Like Apple Music, you can link your Apple Podcasts to your Amazon account through the Amazon Skills website or the Amazon Alexa App.
Method 1: Using the Alexa Skills Website
Visit Apple Podcasts page on Alexa Skills website and choose Allow. You won’t be required to sign in to your Apple ID account if you did when you linked Apple Music.
Method 2: From the Alexa Web App
- Open the Alexa app (alexa.amazon.com) on your web browser and sign in to your Amazon account. Option Setting on the menu, type apple podcast in the search bar and select Apple Podcasts in the results.
- Option Allow.
Method 3: From Amazon Mobile App
- Open the Amazon Alexa app, press Than in the bottom right corner and select Skills & Games.
- Tap the search icon in the upper right corner, type apple podcast in the search box and select Apple Podcasts.
- Clap Turn on to use to add Apple Podcasts to Alexa.
Unlink or disconnect Apple Music and Alexa
If you no longer need Apple Music on your Fire TV Stick, here’s how to unlink the service from Alexa.
Open the Alexa App settings menu, select Music & Podcastsoption Apple Musicclap Disable skilland choose Disable.
Also, go to Apple Music Alexa Skills websiteSign in to your Amazon account and select Disable.
Apple Music & Podcasts on your TV
We should mention that the navigation options and features on the Apple Music Alexa Skill are not extensive. You can just play/pause music, switch between previous and next song in your library, and like/dislike songs. Those are the basic controls.
As mentioned earlier, these methods are applicable on all Firesticks — be it the low-end Fire TV Stick Lite or the high-end Fire TV Stick 4K Max.