You can download Vimeo videos using the local download button, save the video for offline viewing on the mobile app, or through a website, add-on or third-party software. If you are trying to download a video but need help, we will show you several ways to download Vimeo videos quickly.
While Vimeo videos are always accessible on the platform, you may want to save them for offline viewing later. Unlike YouTube and Twitch, Vimeo is a company that provides video production software.
It allows creators to share videos and allows them to download them. However, there are some caveats here, so sometimes you may need to use other methods (instead of the download button on the website).
Note: You should only download videos where permitted by law, and be sure not to use the video for profit or republish it anywhere else.
How to download Vimeo Video from Website?
If you are a free Vimeo user, many videos will not have this option. Also, not all videos can be downloaded using this method, even if you have a premium account. There can be two reasons why a video can’t be downloaded:
- The creators didn’t allow the download because they didn’t want anyone to redistribute the content.
- The download button is only offered to Vimeo with Pro, Plus or Business accounts, with the creator having the option to define the download capacity for each tier.
However, if you check all the boxes, you will be able to download Vimeo videos. Here’s how to do it:
- Go Vimeo website.
- Search for the video you want to download.
- Open the video, scroll down and find Download button.
- Select download quality.
That’s it. This is the most convenient method but is not available for all videos. If the video you want to download doesn’t have a Download button available, try the next methods.
How to download Vimeo videos from mobile app?
If you use the Vimeo app on your phone, it will allow you to watch videos offline. After you download a video for offline viewing, you can watch it without an internet connection, but you can only access it through the Vimeo mobile app.
- Find videos using the Vimeo mobile app.
- Click the ellipsis in the top right of the video and select Make available offline.
- Your video will now start downloading.
- When finished, select Clock from the bottom, scroll down and select Offline. You will find all the videos downloaded for offline viewing here.
How to download Vimeo videos from third party website?
You can Download videos from any platform use some third party websites. Using this method, you will be able to save the video file on your computer and share it with friends or family.
However, you should know that it is illegal to download and redistribute content without the owner’s permission. You could end up with a lawsuit and pay a penalty. Therefore, feel free to use it when downloading Vimeo videos using this method and do not redistribute them without the creator’s permission.
To download videos from a third-party website:
- Search for the video you want to download on Vimeo.
- Press Ctrl + ERROR and Ctrl + to select and copy the URL.
- Go Vimeo Downloader on savethevideo.com, paste the URL in the dialog on the page and select Begin.
- You will then have the option to choose a format. Pick one and choose Download MP4 (assuming you are downloading an MP4 file).
The file should now be downloaded somewhere on your computer (most likely in the Downloads folder if you’re using a PC). If you’re going to use a video somewhere, be sure to check if it’s marked with a Creative Commons license using Vimeo’s filter options.
How to download Vimeo videos with add-ons
If you’re using Chrome (or a Chromium-based browser like Edge), you can use Video Downloader for Vimeo add-on to download Vimeo videos.
- Go to the Chrome Web Store and select Add to Chrome button.
- Go to the Vimeo video you want to download.
- You can click the extension from the top right of your browser or use the download button the add-on adds below the video.
Clicking on the extension also allows you to download other videos that the add-on detects on the page. However, if you just want the video you’re playing right now, the download button is the way to go as you won’t have to search for the video in the list.
How to download Vimeo videos using third-party software
You can use video downloader to download Vimeo videos. If you don’t want to download specialized software to download videos, consider using IDM (Internet Download Manager).
IDM can act as both a download manager and a program to download almost anything you need from a website, including videos on Vimeo, YouTube, and other sites. When you visit the video page, you will see an IDM button that allows you to download the video.
However, IDM is not free (although there is a 30-day free trial). If you want a completely free tool, you can use a tool like 4K Video Downloader. The free version comes with a download limit of 30 videos per day, which is quite generous.
- Download and install 4K Video Downloader.
- Launch the app and open the Vimeo video you want to download.
- Press Ctrl + ERROR And after that Ctrl + when you go to Vimeo video page to copy the URL.
- Switch to 4K Video Downloader app and just click Paste the link at the top of the application. The app will automatically fetch the video with the link from your clipboard.
- Then, choose the format, quality, and location where you want to save the file. When finished, select Download.
Download Vimeo Video Made Easy
Now you can download any Vimeo video you want. However, be aware of piracy while downloading copyrighted content. If you just need some content for a video project, it’s better to use royalty free videos available online.