If you’re looking to download large files, there’s no better way than downloading torrents. The process is decentralized, which means that there is no server hosting the files, just dozens or hundreds of different users sharing little by little. You can use torrents to stream movie files or to download new Linux distributions, to name a few.
For most people, torrenting means using a PC or laptop to locate and download torrent files, but you don’t need to use a PC for torrenting. You can use a mobile device such as a smartphone or tablet to download torrent files directly to your device without any other device. Here’s how to do it.
Download Torrents on iOS Devices
Downloading torrents on Apple devices like iPhone and iPad might be a good idea, but unfortunately, that’s far from happening. Apple doesn’t allow BitTorrent-enabled apps on the App Store, and that’s a policy unlikely to change in the future.
To resolve this issue, you may need to use a seed box to download your Torrent files remotely. From there, you’ll have to download your files from the remote server to your iOS device.
If your iOS device is jailbroken, you can download the BitTorrent client directly, but this is not a procedure we would necessarily recommend, given the risk.
Install BitTorrent Client on Android
For owners of Android smartphones and tablets, it’s a different story. You can absolutely find and install the BitTorrent app from the Google Play Store or get the APK file from your PC, allowing you to download torrents on your Android device.
First, you need to install the BitTorrent client on your Android device. There are many to choose from, including several from BitTorrent Inc, the company behind the BitTorrent protocol itself.
A simple BitTorrent Android client available for you to use is Flud. Unlike some other BitTorrent clients, this one is free to use with no limitations. It’s ad-supported, though Flud has no ads available at a small cost.
- To get started, download and install the Flud app on your Android device from the Google Play Store. Flud will ask you to allow your device memory usage when you open it for the first time, so allow this by pressing Allow button.
- Flud will ask you for your permission to use your usage data for statistics and to allow this information to be used to deliver relevant advertisements. If you are ok with this, press Accept and continue. If you don’t, tap each check box to revoke permission before pressing Accept and continue.
- You will be asked if you want to limit Flud torrent downloads and uploads to a WiFi connection, instead of using your mobile data connection. By default, the checkbox to limit to WiFi only is on, so unless you want to change this, press ALRIGHT button. If you want to use your mobile data tap to deselect Torrent will download and upload if WiFi is connected check box, then press ALRIGHT confirm.
Confirming your WiFi settings will take you to the main Flud interface. Flud app is simple to navigate, with torrents listed in categories, including All of (for all torrents), Lined up (for torrents that are in the queue to start downloading or uploading), and Complete (for downloaded torrents).
If you need to change the Wi-Fi only setting you selected, tap menu icon at the top right of the Flud app. From there, press Settings > Power Managementthen press to deselect Only wifi check box.
Download Torrents on Android Using Flud
Flud supports you to download torrents using torrent files, either as a local file or from an HTTP link or as a magnet link that hides the source of the file. You will need to use one of these methods to start downloading any torrent files.
- To start downloading torrents with a locally saved torrent file, press + button at the bottom left of the Flud interface. Navigate your Android device’s storage using the on-screen menu, then tap the local torrent file to add it to Flud.
- If you want to add torrents using URLs or magnet links, tap magnet icon in the top menu bar. If a matching link is already in your clipboard, Flud will automatically paste it in, but you’ll need to add it manually otherwise. Press ALRIGHT to add torrents to Flud at this point, or Cancel to cancel the download.
- inside More torrents menu, confirm where you want to save the file in Archive path section. You can view the files contained in your torrent by pressing Files navigation. When you’re ready to add torrents and start downloading, tap + button at the top right.
Once added, your BitTorrent download will automatically begin, appearing as a separate entry in the All of navigation. This gives you a quick overview of how the torrent is progressing, with a progress bar and current download and upload speeds.
Pause, Change, and Delete Torrents in Flud
Clicking on the entry to download your torrent in Flud will display more information about it. The list provides information on the number of downloads that have been completed, as well as the number of seeders (users who provide files for download) and leechers (users who only download the file but don’t share it afterwards).
It also lists the estimated completion time for your download, based on the current download speed. You can pause or remove torrent downloads from this list, as well as change the settings for it.
- To pause your torrent, tap Play or Pause icon for torrent entry on main Flud screen. If you are in the detailed list, tap Play or Pause icon in the top menu instead.
- If you want to delete the torrent, during the download or after it’s done, press menu icon at the top right, then tap Delete torrents.
- Flud will ask you to confirm the deletion. If you want to delete torrent files, press Delete downloaded data? check box. Press ALRIGHT confirm.
- You can also make changes to your torrent downloads, including editing your downloaded trackers, and setting maximum download and upload speeds. To do this, press menu icon in the top right, then select Install Torrent. From here, select your chosen option to continue.
Mobile Downloading Using BitTorrent on Android
With a BitTorrent client like Flud, you can carry torrent downloads with you on your mobile device. While we only recommend using this app for legal downloads, using a mobile torrent client can be a good move, especially if you want to download large files in night without turning on the PC.
iOS device owners are less fortunate, but if you have Transmission installed on your PC or Mac, you can use Transmission web interface on your mobile device to control torrents remotely.