Keyboard and mouse are great, but some games are better with a controller. If you have a Nintendo Switch Pro controller, you can connect it directly to your PC.
This is a great option for gamers who want to use a controller but don’t have a dedicated PC controller available. It can also be the perfect choice when playing emulator Nintendo games on your computer. Read on to learn how to connect a Switch Pro controller to your PC.
How to connect a Wired Switch Controller to a PC
Before you begin, make sure you have a Switch controller that works with full battery life and a USB cable for it. You will need to connect this device to a USB port on your PC. Follow these steps to connect your Switch controller.
- With a USB cord, connect one end to the Switch controller (if it’s a detachable USB cord.)
- Connect the other end to the USB port on your PC.
- Your PC will notify you if it recognizes the connected device. If not, try unplugging the USB then plugging it back in or restarting your PC if that doesn’t work.
You can now use the controller with your PC. If you want to use your controller with a program like Steam, we have a section for that.
How to connect a Wireless Switch Controller to a PC
If you have a Switch controller that doesn’t require a wired connection, you can also connect it to your PC through Windows 10’s Bluetooth device settings menu. This can also be done with the controller as well. Pro and Joy-con controllers. It’s also a simple process and all you need is your controller and PC. If your PC doesn’t have built-in Bluetooth, you use a Bluetooth adapter or adapter.
Here’s how to establish a Bluetooth connection:
- On your PC, go to Begin and find Bluetoothand open Bluetooth and other devices settings to access the Bluetooth menu.
- Option Add Bluetooth or other device.
- Option Bluetooth.
- On your Switch controller, press and hold Synchronize at the top of the controller until the light comes on.
- The controller will appear on your PC as a Pro Controller or something similar. Click on it when it appears.
- After it is connected, select Accomplished.
You can now use your Switch controller with a wireless connection on your PC.
How to use the switch controller on Steam
If you’re playing a PC game, you’re probably using Steam to launch and play your game (otherwise, we’ll show you how to use your controller with other programs.) Thankfully, Steam has a Nintendo Switch Pro that supports configurations for these controllers.
- Open Steam and select Steam> Setting at the top left.
- Go Controller > General Controller Settings.
- Big Picture mode will open and you can see if your connected controller works with Steam. You should be able to use your controller to select options.
From here, you can select the type of controller layout you want to use via Steam and calibrate it. You can use the Nintendo button layout or the layout of other controllers like Xbox. Now all you need to do is open a game and start using your controller. However, check the settings with your game, as you may need to enable the controller before using it. Some Steam games don’t support controllers at all.
When launching a game on Steam, you may also need to set up a controller in this game’s settings. If a Steam game is fully controller-compatible, typically the prompts will change to reflect the type of controller you’re using. You can re-edit the buttons and needle bar in the game’s settings.
How to use a switch controller with a game that doesn’t use steam
Steam makes playing games with your Switch controller easy. But with any game or emulator that isn’t Steam, you’ll need to use a different method to connect your controller to the game. This will depend on the game you are playing and if it offers controller support.
You can connect your Switch controller to your computer using the methods above. However, once you’re in the game, you may need to navigate to the controller settings and set it up first before it’ll be compatible with whatever you’re playing.
This can be accessed in most games through the Options or Settings selection in the game’s main menu. From there, look for the option to set up a controller or profile. You may want to look up your particular game to check if it is compatible with your PC controller.
Play games on your PC with a switch controller
The Nintendo Switch controller is a great choice for playing PC games. If you don’t have other options, such as a Playstation or Xbox controller, or a PC-specific controller, the Switch controller will do the job too. Setting up a Switch controller with your PC is also super easy, requiring only a USB connection or using Bluetooth. If you use Steam, they make it easy to connect your Switch controller to your game.
By following the instructions above, you will be able to play your favorite games with the controller in no time.