Whether you’re a teacher or tutor, Google Classroom provides a virtual learning space through which you can give assignments, grades, and feedback to your students.
The best part about this platform is that you can create as many layers as you want. If you feel like your class has run its course and is no longer needed, you can deactivate or delete it to free up space in your virtual classroom.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to archive or delete Google Classroom on the desktop and mobile versions of the app.
What happens when you archive or delete a class on Google
You can archive or delete a layer when you’re done with that, but there’s a difference between the two.
Storing a class is like “disabling” it, so it’s inactive and unused. The class won’t appear in your active classes but will still exist in a separate area of Google Classroom.
Plus, archiving a class preserves your work – all class materials, attachments, posts, and comments – in class so you or your students can view and access them. . However, they cannot update documents or unsubscribe from an archived class.
You can also delete or permanently delete Google Classroom. Unlike classroom archiving, which teachers or co-teachers can do, only the lead teacher can delete Google Classroom.
How to host Google Classroom
Google Classroom offers a Storage function in Setting Allows teachers or co-teachers to host classes from a computer or mobile device.
The archiving feature comes in handy at the end of a semester or term, so you can preserve your study materials and organize them as you move on to other courses.
Note: The Archived function will not appear in the menu if you have not archived any layers.
You can access Google Classroom from a web browser on your Windows PC or Mac to host your class.
- Open Google Classroom on your computer and select Than (ellipsis) at the top right of the tag for the class you want to archive.
- Option Storage.
- In the pop-up that appears, select Storage to confirm your action.
- Select the stacked line icon in Classes page to view archived classes, then select Archived classes.
Note: If you haven’t archived any layers, you won’t see the Archived Layers option in the menu.
Android and iPhone
You can also host a class through the Google Classroom app on your mobile device.
- Open the Google Classroom app and tap Than (ellipsis) on the tag for the class you want to archive.
- Clap Storage.
Restore Archived Google Classroom
If you want to review your archived class tag with active classes, you can restore the class and reuse all documents, posts, assignments, and comments.
- Open Google Classroom on your computer or mobile device and select or tap Menu.
- Select or press Archived classes.
- Next, select or press Than (ellipsis)> Restore on the class card.
- Option Restore to confirm the action.
How to delete a class on Google
Deleting Google Classroom will remove access to any class posts or comments. However, you and your students can use the relevant link to access the class files in the Google Drive folder.
Note: You must archive a class before deleting it. The deletion is permanent, so only perform this action if you are sure that you will never reuse the class.
You can remove Google Classroom from your computer’s web browser (PC or Mac).
- Open Google Classroom and choose Menu.
- Option Archived classes.
- Next, choose Than (ellipsis) at the top right of the class card for the course you want to remove.
- Option Delete.
- Next, choose Delete again to confirm the action.
Android or iPhone
If you have the Google Classes app on your Android device or iPhone, you can delete the class you stored in the first section.
- Open the Google Classroom app and select Than (ellipsis) in the top right corner of the class card for the course you’re deleting.
- Clap Delete.
- Next, tap Delete again to confirm the action.
Note: Only the lead teacher can delete Google Classroom.
How to leave the classroom on Google
If you’re a student, you can leave an archived class to remove it from your account. Your teacher will still have all of your assignments, posts, and comments.
- Open Google Classroom in your browser or from the app on your mobile device and select Menu.
- Select or press Classes.
- Next, select or press Than (ellipsis) in the top right corner of the class card for the course you want to leave.
- Select or press Cancel registration.
Keep your Google classroom organized
Archive or delete classes on Google Classroom lets you manage your classes and keep your homepage neat and organized.
For more virtual learning tips, check out our guide to how to teach an online course, The best apps and tools to educate your kids at homeand the best platforms to create your online course.
Was this guide helpful? Turn off the sound in the comments.