Getting a promotion is always exciting. Usually, when you want to share your news with friends or colleagues online, you turn to social media. However, in the case of a promotion, you may want to switch to a specific network – LinkedIn.
LinkedIn is a popular social networking platform for entrepreneurs. Its focus on business makes it ideal for career news, such as a promotion or job search.
Here’s how you can add a recent promotion to your LinkedIn profile, as well as notify other users on your network about it.
Why feature your ads on LinkedIn?
Sharing news about your ads on LinkedIn comes with a number of benefits. Here are some possible reasons to add advertising information to your LinkedIn profile:
More promotions help you keep your LinkedIn profile up to date.
The LinkedIn Smart Resume is a resume that displays current information about your skills and career achievements. Many users create their LinkedIn profiles and never update them afterwards. It is the wrong approach, especially if you want to expand your professional network or change your career in the future.
You will have a better chance of getting a higher role next time.
The next time you use LinkedIn to find a new job, you can expect the employer to offer you a role similar to or above the one listed on your resume. That’s why it’s important to list your highest professional accomplishments in your LinkedIn profile.
Show your current employer that you enjoy working for them.
Contrary to popular opinion, having a LinkedIn profile doesn’t tell recruiters that you’re leaving your current position and looking for a new job. Instead, if you have a LinkedIn profile with your current role listed, this lets recruiters know that you like your job.
Adding your ad to LinkedIn can be a way of showing that you’re proud to work with this team and that you value your employer’s decision to promote.
How to Add Ads on LinkedIn
If you got a promotion recently, it’s time to add it to your LinkedIn profile. Here’s how to do it on your computer.
- Open LinkedIn on your computer and log in to your account.
- Go to your profile page. To do that, select your profile picture, either in the upper left or upper right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down until you see Experience section.
- In this section, select + icon on the right side.
- Fill in the details of your new role in More experience windows, including Title, Job Type, Company name, Location, Start day, and any other details. Here you can also choose End current position from now on or not.
- Once you’re done, select Save.
Your ad will now be added your LinkedIn resume. The steps are the same whether you’re using LinkedIn on your computer through your browser or the LinkedIn app on your smartphone.
How to add a new title on LinkedIn
Another way to add promotion is to edit the Experience section of your LinkedIn profile without adding a new location. You can simply change the title of the latest job you listed on your resume. To do that, follow the steps below.
- Open LinkedIn and log in to your account.
- Select your profile picture to open your profile page.
- Scroll down until you see Experience section.
- Find the location where you want to change the title. Then choose pencil icon on its right side.
- inside Editing experience window, delete your old title and enter your new title. You can also change any other details about your new location such as Title, Description, Start day and more.
- After you’re done editing, select Save confirm.
Your new job title is now saved and displayed on your profile. The steps are the same no matter what device you’re using: Your computer and the web version of LinkedIn, or the LinkedIn app on your smartphone.
How to notify people online about your promotion
LinkedIn is all about networking. Among other things, this means that your network should be aware of changes in your career. When adding ads to your LinkedIn resume, you can make sure your LinkedIn connections don’t miss it by turning on a special notification.
If you want to notify your network on LinkedIn about your promotion, follow the steps below.
- Open your LinkedIn profile and find the new job role you want to announce to your LinkedIn connections.
- Next to the location, select pencil icon to edit it.
- On the top of Editing experience window, find Notice to the network section. Choose convert next to it to turn on notifications.
- Option Save when you’re done.
Now your network on LinkedIn will be notified of changes in your work.
More ways to let the LinkedIn network know about your promotion
Updating the Experience section of your profile isn’t the only way you can share news about your ads on LinkedIn. One of the first things people see when they visit your LinkedIn profile is Featured section. You can use it to create an announcement post about your promotion.
There are a few different ways you can do this:
- Make a short public post about your ad that will appear on your profile. Your connections will see this post as they scroll through their feed on LinkedIn.
- Write an article about your promotion and post it on LinkedIn. If you are a skilled writer, this is probably the best way for you to announce your promotion. You can also include other details like your new duties and responsibilities here.
- Add a link to another website with your promotional message. If your promotion has been announced elsewhere, this is the fastest and easiest way to share the news with others on LinkedIn.
- Finally, you can add other types of media files, such as an image of your ad’s news video.
It’s time to let everyone know about your promotion
Now, all that remains to add a promotion to LinkedIn is to choose your favorite way to share the news of your promotion with other LinkedIn users and wait for congratulatory messages.
Do you update your LinkedIn profile every time you get a promotion, or would you rather create a public post to inform your connections about it? Share your thoughts on this topic in the comments section below.