Word and PDF are the most common file formats in use today, but there is no easy way to convert a PDF file to the Word format.
There are many reasons why you would want to convert PDF files to Word, the main reason being to create editable version of an existing document. Whatever your reason, this guide explains how to convert PDF to Word.
How to convert PDF to Word in Windows
Whether you’re using a Windows PC or a Mac, we’ll show you several ways to convert a PDF file into a Word document. The best method largely depends on the applications you are most comfortable using like Word, Google Docs or Adobe Acrobat, and your personal preference.
Convert PDF files to Word using Microsoft Word
You can convert PDF files to Word in Microsoft Word. This method will automatically convert your PDF to a DOCX file where the PDF is mostly text.
Note: After your PDF is converted, its format, including line and page breaks, may differ from the original file.
- Open a Word document, select File > Openfind the PDF file and select Open. This will open the PDF file in Word.
- You may receive a reminder that says Word will convert your PDF into an editable document. Option ALRIGHT to continue.
- Word will convert the PDF file to an editable Word document so you can edit, copy, cut, or format the text. Once you’re done, Word automatically saves the edited file as a DOCX file in the default location.
Convert PDF files to Word with Adobe Acrobat
It is possible to convert PDF to Word format in Adobe Acrobat, but this feature is only available in premium versions of Adobe Acrobat.
- Open Adobe Acrobat DCchoose Open fileselect the PDF file and then select Open.
- In the left pane, select Export > Microsoft Word (*.docx).
- Option Converted into.
- If prompted, sign in to your Adobe account and your converted PDF will open in Word.
Convert PDF to Word with Google Docs
Google Docs has improved over the years with more sophisticated editing, formatting, and markup features. You can use Google Docs to convert PDF to Word and easily format text and paragraphs with its smart styling and editing tools.
- Open Google Docs and select the plus sign to open Drum document.
- In the new Google Docs page, select File > Open.
- Choose Upload tab and then click Select a file from your device > Open.
- The document will open in a new tab. Option Open with > Google Docs to open the PDF as a Google Docs file.
- Option File > Make a copy.
- Select the location where you want to save the converted document, then select ALRIGHT.
Note: You can also choose File > Download to download the converted PDF file as a Word document to your computer.
Convert PDF files to Word format with CamScanner
If you want to convert a PDF file to Word and maintain the original layout of the file, you can use CamScanner’s PDF to Word Converter. The online tool converts files in PDF to Word format and works with any web browser, so you don’t have to install any programs or download apps.
- Open CamScanner converts PDF to Word switch and select Files in PC/Mac to import your PDF file. You can also drag and drop PDF files onto the CamScanner website.
- Wait for the conversion to complete and then select Download to save the file.
How to convert PDF to Word on Mac
There are different options that you have on your Mac to make it easier to convert PDF files to Word format, editing and formatting. These include using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, Automator, or a free web-based conversion tool.
Convert PDF to Word with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC is a premium package that allows you to convert PDF files to Word format directly from the PDF file itself. You can use seven-day free trial version of the software if you just want to convert a few files, or pay a monthly subscription if you need to convert PDF to Word often.
- Go https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/how-to/pdf-to-word-doc-converter.html and choose Start free trial.
- Option Begin.
- Next, center your email addresschoose plan you want to register and then select Continue.
Note: If you only use the service to convert documents once, make sure you cancel your plan before the seven-day trial expires, otherwise, payment will be collected on the 8th.order day. If you cancel, you can still use the service to view PDFs, fill out forms, and comment.
- Create or sign in to your Adobe account.
- Your input Billing Information and choose Start free trial.
- Option Begin and the software will be downloaded to your Mac. Once the download is complete, double-click the Adobe Pro DC file download to begin the installation.
- Download and install Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. Sign in with your Mac username and password, and sign in with your Adobe Acrobat credentials. Option Continue.
Note: If your Mac has an Apple silicon chip, you will receive a prompt asking you to install an Intel-based version of the software on your device as Adobe is still developing a new version of the app for the Apple silicon .
- Option Begin Setting and wait for the installation to complete, then the app will open automatically.
- Next, choose File > Open and select the PDF file you want to convert to Word.
- Option Export PDF in the vertical menu on the right side.
- Next, mark Microsoft Word options and then select Export.
- Choose location you want to save your file to your Mac, change name file if you want, then select Save. The converted file will automatically open in Word once the conversion is complete.
Convert PDF to Word with Automator
Automation is an often overlooked application that is installed on all Mac computers used to create workflows. Apps automate certain repetitive tasks and can make using your Mac a lot easier than it already is.
You can use Automator to save a PDF as a rich text file, which you can open in Word and save as a Word document.
- Option To go > Applications > Automation.
- inside Choose a type for your document pop up, select Working process > Choose.
- Next, choose Files & Folders from the left column.
- Option Request search items and drag it into the open space. A new box will appear in the space you just dragged the entry into.
- Go back to the left column and select PDF.
- Option Extract PDF text in the center column and drag it into the open space below the Request Item Search box.
- Next, choose Rich text inside Extract PDF text box.
- Option File > Save and give the new workflow a name.
- Instead of Workflow, select Register next File Format and save your workflow anywhere you want on your Mac.
- Double-click the folder containing the workflow you just created, and then double-click robot Icon with the name you gave it.
- Select your PDF file and then select Choose. This way the file will be converted and saved as Rich text in the same folder where your PDF file is located.
- Right click on Rich text document, hover your mouse pointer over Open with and then select Are from.
When the file opens in Word, you can save it as a standard Word document. From here, anytime you want to convert a PDF file to Word format, you can use the workflow app you just created.
Note: Once you’re done editing in Word, you can select Export to convert it back to a PDF file.
Convert PDF files to Word with a free online tool
If using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC or Automator seems long and tedious, you can convert the PDF file to Word format using an online conversion tool. Some of the best free online converters include Smallpdf, Nitro, UniPDF, CamScanner or WPS convert PDF to Word adapter.
For this tutorial, we used Smallpdf to convert PDF to Word on Mac.
- Go Smallpdf PDF to Word in the browser on your Mac.
- Option Select file to find your PDF and upload it to Smallpdf, or drag and drop it into the blue space on the Smallpdf website. You can also select the arrow next to Select file and select the location where you want to open your PDF file.
- Option Convert to Word and wait for the file to be converted.
- Once done, select the down arrow next to the file name to download it as a DOCX file. You can save the file to Google Drive or Dropbox, or select the envelope icon to create a link on the web.
Convert PDF to Word for easy editing
Converting a PDF file to Word format is not difficult to do if you know how to do it. The easiest method is to use a web-based tool because all you do is upload your file and the tool quickly converts the PDF into a Word document that you can download, edit and save to your device or cloud storage.
Leave a comment and let us know which method works best for you.